Sunday, April 11, 2010

Left Foot, Right Foot Breathe (Days 3 and 4)

Runners must be some of the worst post-op patients ever.  I've only been down since Wednesday, but I am completely stir crazy right now.  The good thing is that I'm too exhausted to even think about pushing it. A simple walk to the end of the driveway or trip to the bathroom takes all of my energy.  It's hard to believe that a week ago, two hour runs were nothing.  It's also hard to fathom that I will ever be back to that level of running again. I am hopeful, however, that starting PT on Tuesday will improve my mood.

Since I am only using Tylenol and ice right now to manage pain, pain remains an issue.  Once I get settled in a seated or prone position, the pain subsides, but changing between positions remains painful. I definitely underestimated how much pain would be involved; after all, I voluntarily run marathons.  With the possibility that I may have to do the right leg at some point, I will take a very different approach to surgery.  This time, I assumed that I would be able to go back to work tomorrow (Day 5) and to North Carolina for a conference on Thursday (Day 8).  Although the conference is still a possibility, I think it is very unlikely I will be able to go to work tomorrow.

My big accomplishments for the day:
  • Dressed myself, almost in normal clothes.  
  • Washed my hair, with the help of my sister.  
  • Two "walks" to the end of my driveway (100 yards).  

No comments:

Post a Comment