Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Snow+Flip Flops+Crutches = Disaster

This morning, we woke up to a surprise snowstorm.  Well, not really a surprise, as it was in the forecast, but surprise in that it's April 27th.  Regardless, I am very thankful that I didn't have this surgery in the middle of winter.  Flip flops in the rain are bad enough.  Flip flops in snow are downright awful.

Despite the weather, this week finally feels like recovery.  I had a great PT session yesterday, focusing on walking with the aid of my crutches on both feet.  Prior to PT, I was tapping my left toe down.  Now, I am doing a true heel strike and rolling through to my toe.  Although this slows me down incredibly, it has done wonders to loosen up my calf. 

I will be three weeks post-op tomorrow.  I am walking tenderly, riding a bike for a few minutes a day and have returned almost full-time to work.  This requires a handicap permit (I usually walk and bus) and some creative carrying skills with a purse, but getting back to a regular schedule feels great.  For the first time since surgery, I am starting to think about running again.  The weather was beautiful here yesterday, and I was gazing longingly at sidewalks and runners.  Soon enough, soon enough.

4 comments:

  1. Sarah, I am wondering if your recovery is slowed by having done all four compartments or if my surgeon is on crack when he tells me I should be walking in my boot by 2 weeks post-op, biking at 3 weeks, walking unaided by 4 weeks and running in 6 weeks.
    I am having just the anterior and lateral compartments released. I have to assume that having all four released makes it that much more traumatic to the muscles?

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn: Obviously, I can only give anecdotal experience, but I cannot imagine walking before this week. I would imagine that having only two compartments done would be less painful; most of my pain has been centered on the calf, which comes from those deep releases. The other thing that really hurts is my heel. I've never been a walking boot, though, so perhaps there is more support?

    I am surprised, however, to hear that you'll be in a boot. My surgeon looked at me like I had two heads when I asked about it because the last thing you want is the incisions to heal too quickly and undo the purpose of the fasciotomy.

    For me, biking (and by biking, I mean my left leg happily turning with my right) and walking happened simultaneously. Now that I am walking with weight on the leg and some without crutches, I can see how quickly the remainder of this recovery is going to go.

    What day is your surgery?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the boot affecting healing time. The boot I got is an air boot, it inflates like those old school Reebok Pumps, ha, and it prevents trauma to the incisions as well as making mobility easier. I suspect that, because of the air bladders in the boot, I may be able to get used to bearing weight earlier than without it but in a gentle non-traumatic way. I guess it's maybe like pool running: non-weight bearing but you get back into the motion to get the muscles ready to work again?
    My surgery is in ~3 weeks, it's May 25th. Now that it's scheduled I want it to be here already, the constant pressure is making me cranky, especially knowing it's coming to an end soon, but not soon enough!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'd have to ask your surgeon, but my understanding is that you just don't want healing TOO fast, because the whole point is that the fascia are released and remain that way.

    Good luck! I'll be thinking of you then, and will be interested to compare recoveries. Together, we will be one great CECS resource!

    ReplyDelete